Blog Archive

Thursday 4 November 2010

Strangers in the night

A horrific night. I know that problems, fears and doubts are all amplified during the hours of darkness, but last night was probably the worst night I’ve ever spent, I seem to be saying that a lot lately. I haven’t told Emma about my ability to see these dark apparitions and I know she doesn’t read my blog so I am not going to mention it to her after all we went through last month. She must have known something was wrong last night however, as I was tossing and turning, my bed-side lamp was on and off every few minutes and I was very obviously finding it very difficult in getting to sleep.

The main problem was that when the light was on I could clearly see the shadows flitting around the room, in and out of the open window, crowding in the dark corners of the room. I now believe that’s why, as kids, we are all scared of the creatures under the bed and other such dark recesses; because that’s where the shadowy forms of these creatures lurk and congregate. When I turned the light off I could almost feel the press of the swarming shades against my body, even ducking under the bed-clothes I could feel their presence. I felt so vulnerable and exposed and utterly alone. The whispering was ever present, growing and fading in intensity and at times so faint I could barely make it out but it was always there. I remembered the sudden increase of this sound to a sudden roar that I had witnessed yesterday in the traffic jam just before the driver I was watching seemed to absorb the shadows and completely lose his temper. I think it must have been the fact that I really concentrated on the sounds, attempting to tune-in and discern what was being said, that finally pushed me into a fitful sleep.

I awoke this morning feeling like I’d been run over by a truck, my eyes felt as though they were stuffed with sand and I generally felt lousy. Initially the heavy sunlight streaming through the gap in the curtains lifted my spirits but as I gained full consciousness I could see, at the edge of my vision, the lurking shadows in the dark corners. Emma as usual was already up and was busy getting the kids breakfast ready, the kids, of course, were still asleep. It seems that the more I become aware of these shadowy apparitions the easier it is to see them directly, it does make it more difficult to filter them out but still possible.

The drive to work this morning, a damn site more uneventful than yesterday, gave me time to think. Assuming that I am not, once more, losing my grip on reality and that my sanity is not slipping, gradually away, then it appears that these shades can directly influence normal people. Are they always swarming around us all, forever seeking a weakness and an opportunity to strike and take control for their own nefarious ends? There are not so many here in the countryside, at work, but they are present. It’s Friday tomorrow so I aim to take an afternoon stroll around the high street and use my new eyes to watch these shadowy beings go about their business.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment