Blog Archive

Wednesday 29 September 2010

Voices from the ether

Where to start? Finding the package on the ferry certainly surprised me but now I’ve had a chance to read and listen to the document and voice recorder respectively I’m not sure how to proceed, if indeed I do.

Thinking about how I have arrived at the current juncture, the first question I ask is; why me? Obviously someone has taken the time to target me with a doctored spamming campaign, or they have managed to somehow access my PC or the mail server I use. Either way they must have taken a conscious decision to select me. That plays directly on my paranoid tendencies, or would if I let it. Back to the material I found yesterday.

The document, which had an email address written on it (I’ll come back to that later), is entitled ‘The Ghost Box’, I’ve googled it and found the same document generally available here:


It describes the basic principles of a device to tune into EVP (Electronic Voice Phenomena) and how to make one. Most have heard of EVP, the movie ‘White Noise’ made sure of that. I’ve not had much cause to either believe or disbelieve but after receiving this document and, even more to the point, the voice recorder, I find myself thinking a bit more about it.

I checked out the Wikipedia entry on EVP and found that it had this to say about The Ghost Box:

Another electronic device specifically constructed in an attempt to capture EVP is "Frank's Box" or the "Ghost Box". Created in 2002 by EVP enthusiast Frank Sumption for supposed real-time communication with the dead, Sumption claims he received his design instructions from the spirit world. The device is described as a combination white noise generator and AM radio receiver modified to sweep back and forth through the AM band selecting split-second snippets of sound. Critics of the device say its effect is subjective and incapable of being replicated, and since it relies on radio noise, any meaningful response a user gets is purely coincidental, or simply the result of pareidolia.

Ok, not a convincing extract but it appears that someone, other than Frank Sumption, has taken this seriously. Serious enough indeed to put together a design specification and, by the looks of it, construct one for themselves.

The voice recorder initially appeared to contain just static but after reading the document I transferred the file to my PC and listened properly. There appears to be something in the background, a voice. I didn’t spend too much time listening, to be honest I was initially a little shocked, but I intend to attend to this later tonight. The file is here:




The email address written, in apparently the same hand-writing as the note found in the library, was this:


It doesn’t exist, try if you like, my response was:

This is the Postfix program at host deferred-out-119.livemail.co.uk.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the message returned below.

                  The Postfix program

<simon@unicorn-hedge.com>: Host or domain name not found. Name service error
    for name=unicorn-hedge.com type=A: Host not found

I checked the domain and it hasn’t been registered yet. Is someone yanking my chain? Seems a bit elaborate for that. If someone takes the trouble to create a non-existent email address it very obviously must be for reasons other than expecting any correspondence but what that might be I have no idea.


The day at work is a little slow so I will take the opportunity to learn more about EVP and try to figure out what the email address means.


More later.

Oh ans the Techorati code is...........W84P4JYWQMHB

No comments:

Post a Comment